Thursday, December 24, 2009

So today we played tourist. We gave ourselves a walking tour in the colonial zone with the purpose of just seeing the sights and taking pictures.

Thus far we have been living as locals, going to La Sirena, the supermarket, cooking and riding guaguas. We have a hostel in the heart of the colonial zone [Duarte & El Conde!] that we are staying at for the week. This is because our second couch host, Tico, bailed on us.

The hostel is unique. It is inspiring me because I always wanted to 'settle down' as a hostel owner. That way, since I'm not traveling as much, the travels come to me. This hostel in particular however, has a very different set up. Once you come in from the street there is a hallway that leads to a courtyard. From there, there are several doors to the rooms.

My room has a fridge, mini kitchen, a table, a tv and fan attached to the walls, and what I want to call a water closet. It is separated by a plastic curtain from the rest of the room and has a shower, sink, and toilet all in one place. It is weird. It is a small room, but the amenities include internet and coffee in the morning. The owner lives upstairs. This is the part that inspired me. I could live upstairs! Maybe have a little place in NY.

Guests here have the option of paying less for a room without a bathroom. They use the bathroom with shower in the courtyard. There are two cats roaming around.

It's pretty cool here but I'm running out of money. (I was expecting to have a host this week) We'll see how things go though. The owner's wife washed our clothes for $150 pesos, so we'll have clean clothes, hopefully some food soon, and I really hope to check out Secretos Musical Bar tonight. I like stumbling on things myself but it is recommended by many sites online. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment